The Power Of The Rumor

You know that game where you sit a group of people in a circle, and start with the first person and whisper something in their ear, then that person tells the next, and all the way around the circle, and at the end the last person says what they were told and you see how close it is to the original statement. Well, we are learning in Thailand that that game is alive and well. Here at our school, it is a soap opera of people gossiping about other peoples lives. "Did you hear about", or "Well I heard" statements are quite common in these parts. I am told that gossip and straight forward statements are a part of Thai culture. Here however, at an international school, it has been proved to be quite dangerous. People love to gossip about other people, and even if its not true, they love to spread it. There is nothing that I can do about it, except that, lately I have found myself craving such "gossip" and knowing about other peoples lives as well. I am trying to stay out of those conversations as best I can, but quite honestly, it is very difficult. My friend Vicky tells me that English people LOVE to gossip, and that it is almost a way of life. The truth is its quite dangerous and can demoralize, demean, or devastate people and relationships. So again, I can't do much about it, except try to avoid those types of conversations myself. But did you hear about Scott.....apparently he's finding it quite hard.....
3 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Hopefully we fixed the comment issue guys. Let me know if you have more troubles. Scott


  2. Anonymous Says:

    If you leave a comment, just click "post comment" twice. It doesn't work sometimes for some unknown reason. Scott


  3. Tim Says:

    Thanks for sharing this buddy. Gossip can be very tantalizing and very destructive. I suppose the best we can do is to attempt to purge ourselves of the practice and our environment so that we don't hear it or nurture it. It's a process...day by day. I hope that gossip aside, all is well with you and Jazz.


Post a Comment